Registration is open for “The Apostolic Ministry: History, Theology, Ecumenism,” a conference co-organized by Matthew Reese (Yale and The Johns Hopkins Universities) and Christopher Adams (Fordham University) and hosted by Berkeley Divinity School at Yale. “The Apostolic Ministry” will bring together eighteen presenters from across the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Kenya.
Registration is open on Eventbrite.
In this two-day event, October 26–27, 2023, we will discuss the office of the bishop in all of its diverse manifestations, interpretations, and challenges across time. Papers will range from biblical studies to patristics, church history, systematics, and modern ecumenism. Over the course of these presentations, we hope to interrogate the role of the episcopacy in the ever-increasing religious pluralism of our current moment––all with an eye to the promotion of Christian unity.
Join us at the Berkeley Center and Yale Divinity School’s beautiful Marquand Chapel for two days of scholarship, ecumenical dialogue, and prayer. The conference will end with Berkeley’s Hart Lecture in Theology given by the Canon Prof. Mark D. Chapman of the University of Oxford and Ripon College Cuddesdon, as well as a “bishops’ roundtable” discussion, moderated by Dean Andrew McGowan. We will conclude with a service of Choral Evensong.
- Sarah Byers, Boston College
- Mark Obeten, Marquette University
- Alex Exum, Duke Divinity School
- E. Okelloh Ogera, Great Lakes University of Kisumu
- Greta Gaffin, Independent Scholar
- Michael Proietta, Marquette University
- Thomas G. Hermans-Webster, Orbis Books
- John Reilly, University of Notre Dame
- Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen, Fuller Theological Seminary and University of Helsinki
- Sinu Rose, University of Kentucky
- Matthew Kemp, Marquette University
- Gregory Shokhikyan, University of Nottingham
- Caleb Adams Lindgren, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- Julian J. Sieber, Loyola University Chicago
- Jonathan Lofft, Huron University College
- Mihailo Vlajkovic, Saint Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary
- Ed Watson, Yale University
If you have questions, please write to Dr. Matthew Reese at firstname.lastname@example.org.