The Berkeley Divinity School Graduate Society includes every person who has spent at least one term as a degree, diploma, or certificate candidate at the School, or who holds an honorary degree from the Berkeley Divinity School. The Society’s purposes are manifold:
- To provide a network of communication, fellowship, and support among Graduates.
- To support the mission of the Berkeley Divinity School at Yale financially, morally, and spiritually to ensure the continuing high level of theological education that has been the contribution of Berkeley to the Church since the foundation of the School in 1854.
- To recruit and direct qualified potential students toward the School for their theological education.
- To honor the outstanding achievement of Berkeley students by the awarding of prizes.
- To help encourage and mentor recent Graduates in their new ministries through the Graduate Society network.
- To help organize, promote, and encourage post-graduate study and continuing education for the continuing professional/vocational development of graduates.
- To represent the school in the wider Church.
The Society’s annual meeting is held each fall during the larger Yale Divinity School Convocation and Reunions week, and is held in conjunction with a luncheon, the Pitt or Cheney Lecture (in alternating years), and Evensong with Conferral of honorary degrees.
The Society’s work is coordinated by a Council whose members are elected by the graduates of the School. Each member serves a term of four years, and one member of each class serves on the Board of Trustees. The current members of the Council are:
The Rev. Whitney Zimmerman Edwards ‘07, President
The Rev. Darren Elin ‘98, Secretary/Treasurer
Class of 2019
The Rev. Mark Anschutz ‘69
The Rev. Jackie Kirby ‘08
The Rev. Matthew Corkern ‘01
Class of 2018
The Rev. Matthew Heyd ‘95
The Rev. Stephen Huber ‘98
The Rev. Allison Read ‘97 ‘03
Class of 2017
The Rev. Carmen Germino ‘11
The Rev. Astrid Storm ‘01
Class of 2016
The Rev. Susan Rainey Dankel ‘11
The Rev. Will Mebane ‘06